Friday, April 01, 2005

Attack of the Clones

The UPS man brought me some presents today, so I had to force myself to spend some time at the workbench. I mentioned my new Savage 10FP a few days ago. Here it is with its' little brother after installation of the scope and the new stock.



The .223 is the one with the sling. I have a sling for the .308, but I forgot to buy any swivels. Oops.

I also got to use a new tool tonight: a scope ring lapping and alignment kit. I've never used one of these before....always just slapped the scope into the rings and ran with it. This thing is awesome! Not only does it make installing dovetail rings a snap, it lets you lap the rings so that they are in perfect alignment. Less than 5 minutes of slow, careful lapping took down the minor high spots in the rings. The grip of the lapped rings on the scope is simply amazing. This is a good enough tool that I'm considering lapping the rings on all of my other rifles. Of course that means that I would have to sight in 9 rifles again........hmmmm. I'll have to ponder that.

#1 son and I will be breaking in the barrel tomorrow after the shotgun class is finished. I'll post an update after we see how it does.......

__

Comments:
Len,

Call me crazy, but it looks like you are boning up for some long range shooting.

Do it the right way. Take your time and do it slow. I f***ed up a bit, in that I didn't decide to do Boomershoot until January.

That limited me as far as the rifle and as far as how much time I had to get it right.

You are a wise man, indeed.

Regards,
Benjamin
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Arizona Bloggers Webring

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random