Monday, July 25, 2005

Used guns

Anytime you buy something used you should ask the seller why it’s for sale. Remember that nobody ever sells something because it works too well. Case in point: One of my students bought his first trap gun at the Prescott shoot I mentioned earlier. (Ok, his parents bought him the gun since he’s only twelve, but close enough). It’s a Remington 1100 classic trap with a Simmons barrel and a no-name adjustable stock. The barrel is a work of art….backbored to .740, ported, lengthened forcing cone, high rib, interchangeable chokes, extra high rib….all the goodies.

But it wouldn’t feed from the magazine. It was a single shot gun.

I recommended that the young man's parents still buy the gun for a number of reasons. 1 - Remington's are easy to work on. 2 - The barrel work was worth the asking price of the gun. 3 - 1100's are easy to work on. Last weekend at the range I did some "tailgate gunsmithing" and got the gun running the way it's supposed to. The culprit was a bent, shortened, weak magazine spring. A $6 part and some diagnosis time is all it took.

Don't be afraid of used guns, but if it doesn't work make sure it's something that you can fix.....or afford to have fixed.

_

Comments:
Heh... see what happens when you come back and post so many entries in one day... Comment spam... Don't you feel better now.

Nice post by the way. I am having problems with my used Tokerev. I think I know what the problem is, now I just need to fix it.

Glad to see you back

Kirk
www.limpidity.org/index.php
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Arizona Bloggers Webring

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random