Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Home

The kids are finally home. Not without drama, but they're home. The original plan was for me to drive to Oklahoma City (halfway point) and meet my ex there to exchange hostages...err, excuse me......to pick up the kids. We've been doing this for several years. She and her current husband drive to OKC from Kentucky, my wife and I drive to OKC from Arizona, whoever has the kids hands them off to the other and away we go. Pretty simple, really.

This year it had to be different. There wasn't enough drama during the summer, so we had to have the drama at kid-swap time. I received a phone call at work from my 11 year old son at 4:45 pm the day before we were leaving. To say that he was not happy would be quite an understatement. Instead of calling herself, his mother had him call to tell me that she couldn't bring them to OKC.

Why couldn't she bring them to Oklahoma City?

She didn't know where it was.

I'm not talking about the location in OKC where we were supposed to meet....I mean the city itself. Couldn't find it. Didn't know how to get there.

Oh

My

FREAKIN'

God.

I suppose I shouldn't be too upset about this. The roads in Oklahoma are so bad that it always seems like OKC gets farther away every time I go there. Maybe someone decided that moving the city to a different part of the state would be easier than fixing all the damn potholes in I-40.

I ended up buying a pair of last minute, hideously expensive plane tickets to get the kids home. Several people have suggested that the whole scene was an elaborate ruse to get me to pay for transporting the kids because my ex and her cohort didn't have the cash to hold up their end of the bargain. I don't know and I don't really care. All that's important to me is that my kids are home where they belong. It would have been nice if she'd had her crisis a week earlier so that I could have saved some $$ buying the tickets in advance, but if wishes were horses we'd all be neck deep in horse shit. They're home.

And we've already made a trip to the range to break in their new shotguns. ;-)

__

Comments:
Well the day before the next exchange you have to develop the same amnesia. Then tell her that if she buys them a round trip airfare you would be happy to take them to the airport as you still vaguely remember where that is...

Gah...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Arizona Bloggers Webring

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random