Sunday, September 04, 2005

Impressions from the first hunt

The weekend is over and the kids first hunt is finished. I can usually judge how good a time I had by how many pictures I've taken. Lot's of pictures means I was bored. If you've looked at the last two posts, you've seen all the pictures from the last two days. It was a good weekend.

This wasn't just a normal weekend hunt. Each year the Chandler Rod and Gun Club and the Arizona Game and Fish Department sponsor a 2 day, youth only season in an area closed to all other hunters. Some pics from last years event are here. I'll post the link to the pics from this year as soon as it is available.

It was a weekend of firsts and one that I hope will stay with the kids as long as it will with me. I didn't fire a shot all weekend.....they did all the work. I was the guide, the packmule, the teacher, the retriever, and once, the paramedic. I walked my ass off, was bitten by bugs, was scratched by every frickin' thorn on every frickin' bush that I had to reach into to retrieve a bird, had very little sleep.....and loved every minute of it.

A few things that stand out:

Other than the scrapes and cuts on the retrievers (myself and Charlie, Bryce's dad), we only had one injury. Today Kathy wanted to try hunting with one of the 20 gauge 1100's instead of her Citori to see if she could reduce the doveburger effect that her gun produces on close shots. Early in the morning she didn't quite have her fingers out of the way when she closed the action and closed the bolt on her pinky, taking a chunk of skin out of the pad of the finger. A cleansing wipe, some Neosporin, and two bandaids later she was back in the game.

An excellent weekend. The patterning post can wait. I have to get up at 4am so that I can be in the field when the sun rises tomorrow. Good night!

_


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Arizona Bloggers Webring

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random