Monday, October 31, 2005

A happy Halloween story

This was a very happy Halloween at my house - more so than usual. Nathan had fun trick-or-treating dressed as a 4 foot diameter Oreo cookie. Kathy had fun handing out candy and flirting with all the cute boys. However, the best part was a family reunion brought about by the local teenage grapevine.

Last night around midnight I was sitting in the garage priming some .223 brass (yes, I still do it the old fashioned way) when I heard my dogs and the neighbor's dogs start the "intruder in the yard" bark. If you have dogs you'll understand what I mean. If you don't you won't. Get a dog. Get three. They're cool.

Anyway, the dogs were seriously trying to tell me that something was out there and were doing their best to tear down the wrought iron fence, so I grabbed my Surefire and my Kimber and went out for a look. As I was pie'ing my way around the corner to look into the driveway the intruders made themselves known........by running up and licking my legs. It's too bad there wasn't a camera on me, because I did the most beautiful "flinch so bad you almost fall down" shot refusal I've ever imagined. You know what I mean: a fast moving target has presented itself and the "Front Sight, Press" sequence has begun, but suddenly the brain intercedes and says STOP, causing you to come off the target in a motion that looks somewhat like an epileptic gorilla trying to perform the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies.

Two black Lab puppies, maybe 6 to 8 weeks old, and an adult male black Lab had come for a visit.

The dogs were very obviously friendly and utterly exhausted. I opened the garage up and they all promptly came in and flopped down. Water, food, and a soft, safe place to lie down (the traditional gifts to wandering canines) were provided, and within a few minutes the garage looked like Doggie Jonestown.

All of the dogs were well groomed, appeared healthy, and weren't scared of people at all. These were somebody's pets, not strays. I could see where the adult had worn a collar at one time, but he didn't have it on now. I checked for tatoos and microchips, but no clues as to where the dogs belonged became evident. Now what?

Animals are always welcome at our house, but these dogs had a house and a family of their own. After a meal, a short nap, lots of belly rubbing and scratching behind the ears (on the dogs, not me), and a reminder from my wife that this was how we ended up with 8 cats, 3 dogs, 2 turtles, a fish and a frog, it was time to see if they knew their way home. I opened the garage door and stood back to give them a clear exit. The adult walked out into the driveway and proceeded to cast about in a complete circle, both by sight and by smell, and after a moments hesitation turned and came back into the garage and sat down. He was lost. Time for plan B. I closed up the garage, put out some more food, and let them sleep for the night.

Today we started a muliti-level information blitz in an attempt to locate the missing family. The kids spread the word at school and posted 'found' notices around the neighborhood, while I posted a 'found' notice at the local Petsmart and on Pet 911. As usual, the most effective idea came from my wife. She suggested that we put a 'found' sign in the driveway where all of the trick-or-treaters would see it. Simply masterful. Within 45 minutes of passing out our first candy we started hearing people referring to us as "the people with the dogs." The word was spreading. An hour and a half later, a young man read the sign and informed us that there were people on the next street over asking trick-or-treaters to look for their 3 lost dogs. This fine young citizen was given an extra handful of candy and asked to go back and tell the people that we might have their dogs.

Within 10 minutes a truck pulled up in front of the house. A man bailed out of the passenger door before the truck stopped moving and said "I hear that you may have my babies! Are they here?" He was able to describe the dogs perfectly, so I led him into the garage and witnessed a reunion that only a true dog lover can appreciate. The poor guy was in tears as he was mobbed by the ecstatic dogs. In between barks and sniffles he explained that someone had left a gate open during a party at his house two days ago. He tried to offer me money for taking care of the dogs, but I couldn't take it from him. As an explanation for my refusal to accept his money I took him into the backyard and introduced him to my dogs. He understood.

Lucky, Diamond, and Osita ("little bear") are home. Happy Halloween.

_

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Arizona Bloggers Webring

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random