Saturday, December 10, 2005

cheap for a reason

Our SCTP team is provided with 100 free shells per month per student. The shells are Estate "Super Sport" shells in both 12 and 20 gauge. I've noticed that Kathy and Nathan's scores improved greatly when they used my reloads instead of the Estate factory shells and became curious. Cutting apart one of each gave me at least part of the answer. The Estate shells use a two piece wad assembly instead of the one piece wad commonly used by Winchester and Remington (and by me when I reload). I haven't patterned the Estate shells yet, but I plan on doing so at the first opportunity. The tilted, smashed post on the Estate wads does not inspire great confidence in me. I'll post the results after I pattern some of them.

I've posted pictures of the Estate 2 piece wads with a Winchester wad for comparison below.




12 gauge wads



20 gauge wads

Comments:
I just returned from the Kentucky state trap shoot and used Estate shells all week. I had no problem smashing the birds with the factory shells. Let me know what your results reveal.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Arizona Bloggers Webring

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random